During this June, the National Safety Council (NSC) is raising awareness about several issues that cause harm to Americans every year. Multiple organizations will join the NSC in events, walks, and productions to promote safety.
Each week of June represents a different issue:
- Week 1 – raising awareness about prescription drug abuse
- Week 2 – slips, trips, and falls
- Week 3 – awareness of your surroundings
- Week 4 – distracted driving
- Bonus week – summer safety
This is the second week of June, so the NSC is promoting the awareness of slips, trips, and falls, which can lead to personal injury and even death in some cases. Since 1999, the NSC reports that fatal falls for people 65 and older have increased by 112%.
With this is mind, there are ways to improve the safety of your home and workplace in order to avoid slips and falls that may cause injury or death, including the following:
- Eliminate hazards that may cause someone to trip
- Always keep floors and stairs dry
- Have good lighting
- Use signs to show when a floor is wet
- Install toilet and shower grab rails and stair rails
On this second week of National Safety Month, our team of attorneys encourage you to prevent slips and falls as they can lead to a lawsuit. If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident or because of someone else’s negligence, please contact Weiser & Associates today. We serve clients in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan, and the surrounding areas. You can call us at (212) 213-3111.